All Over Brooklyn (2.5/3.35/2.65 miles)

Our post office is located a convenient 1.25 miles away from our apartment.  The end of our street is literally the edge of our zip code, so we live as far as possible from our post office, and it’s not on the way to anything. To anyone who doesn’t live in New York, that doesn’t sound that bad and in fact is most likely much closer than your local post office.  That’s what, a five minute trip, at most?  New Yorkers, however, realize that the term “convenient” was mean to be sarcastic, as 1.25 miles is really far away from a post-office: that’s a 5o minute round-trip walk, 36 minute trip if you take the bus and get lucky.   You already know how this paragraph is going to end, right?  The entire two and a half mile round trip takes 18 minutes, tops, when I run.

This morning was a bit hectic, as I had to walk the dog, get to the post office to pick up a package, get something to eat, and get ready to take Nat to gym class all before 9 am.  The weather report originally called for rain, but luckily we woke up to brilliantly azure skies and a crisp, early spring breeze blowing in off the river.  My run to the post office was a great way to wake up, but it also told me that my legs were still tired from last night, and more importantly, my Achilles tendon was feeling a bit sore again after all the runs I’d put it through this week — I ran six of the last seven days, and was looking at a respectable 25 miles for the week.  Nothing unusual for me, but the most weekly millage since I hurt my tendon, and a 25% increase from last week.

Back home from the post office, I realized Nat and I had to be out the door in under 10 minutes in order to make his gym class on time.  While M chased him into a clean diaper and clothes (“No like clothes!  No like diaper!”), I threw together my standard morning smoothie (protein powder, banana, green-tea extract, chia seeds, Udo’s oil, Ambertose powder, and frozen blue berries) and poured it into my water bottle so I could drink it during the run to Fort Green.  Talk about efficiency!  It was an experiment, honestly, but it turns out drinking my breakfast while waiting at red-lights is eminently possible, and actually sort of fun.  We made it to class just in time, though my ankle was still telling me that it had put in enough work for one week.  Not in pain, but definitely complaining more than it had in almost two weeks.  I told it all it had to do was to get us back home after class and it could rest until Monday.

After a whirl-wind two and a half hours at the Gym Park (everything that involves Nat can be described as “whirl-wind”) we got our weekly cookie fix at Cookie Road and sat on the bench taking in the glorious pre-Spring weather.  Nat was in his so-tired-he’s-acting-stoned mode that meant he was going to crash as soon as I got him back in the jogging stroller, and sure enough he was out (still clutching his chocolate chip cookie) before we hit the edge of McClaren Park 4 minutes later.  I picked up yoghurt, bread, and some bee-pollen (to add to my smoothie mix) at the farmer’s market, then headed back home.

My ankle was getting quite upset at this point, and as I slowed for the intersection at Flushing, almost exactly a mile from home, it gave a twinge that made me actively think “Ow!”  For a few seconds I went through the panicked response that I am sure all runner’s experience when something pops or strains: “Oh shit, how bad was that?”  “I knew I shouldn’t have run that far/fast/soon!” “Why didn’t I ice it more often?” “Stupid, stupid, stupid!” “Please tell me I’m not going to have to take time off.  Again.” “Why me?  Why now? All I want to do is get in a run.”  When the light changed, however, it was still merely uncomfortable, though I slowed down a little and concentrated on making my strides short and gentle, and when my GPS said six miles I decided I’d walk the last half-mile home.  After all, the day was beautiful.

Back home, I immediately put ice on my heel while I sat on the front steps reading the Saturday Times as Nat dozed in the stroller.  As I write this now, 8 hours later, I’ve got ice on it again, and it seems to be fine.  I was planning on taking tomorrow off anyway, and I’ll be easy Monday to see how things are.

Total Distance: 8 miles          Total Time: not recorded


About Chris Van Dyke

I am a 33 year-old high school English teacher and long-distance runner. I live in Brooklyn with my partner, our 3 year-old son and 1 year-old daughter and a growing collection of muppets and trains. Besides running and teaching I like to draw, read, write, cook, and play the harmonica. While I didn't get to run my first ultra-marathon on my birthday, I've got a few more I've set my sights on. You can follow my (seldom updated) twitter feed @aboutrunning. I also blog as part of the Run Smiley Collective.
This entry was posted in Injuries, Practical Runs, Routine, Running with Nat, Runs and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s